Slifko & Associates, Inc.

Tax Tips

Do I Need a Tax Accountant

Many people are hesitant to spend their hard earned money to have their taxes done.But remember, a good accountant saves you money, not costs you money. By allowing Slifko & Associates to do your taxes for you, you avoid the hassle and headache of doing them yourself, as well as insuring a more accurate tax return with the knowledge of a licensed professional behind it.

We keep up to date with the changing tax laws, so no matter how complex your taxes are, we can handle them. We can help you to pay as little in taxes as possible, and can help you if you are facing a problem, such as filing back taxes, paying off tax debt, or fighting an IRS audit.

But how do you find the right tax accountant for you?

Tips for Finding a Tax Accountant

Not all accountants are created equally. You need to find one that can deal with your particular situation. They should be willing to answer all your questions,and take the time to make sure you understand what they are doing for you. Shop around, ask for referrals from friends or associates, and change accountants if you are not comfortable with the one you have.

Enrolled Agents are tax professional who have passed a rigorous test and background check administered by the Internal Revenue Service. EAs can handle all taxes from the most basic up to the more complex. They are able to represent you in front of the IRS, if necessary.

Certified Public Accountants have passed a rigorous exam and are licensed by the state. CPAs may specialize in accounting or tax issues, and may also be able to represent you in dealing with an audit or collection.

Tax attorneys specialize in tax law. They handle difficult legal matters, and can take your case before the US Tax Court.

Any of these professionals may be able to help you with a simple tax preparation. But if you have a more complicated issue, if you are already behind, or about to be audited, or if you want to avoid future problems by tax planning, then find an experienced, competent tax accountant who specializes in the area you need help with.

Questions to Ask a Tax Accountant

Before you trust your taxes to anyone, ask a few questions.

You may also wish to check with your state's board of accountancy for CPAs, or the IRS Office of Professional Responsibility for EAs, to ensure that the tax professional you are hiring is still in good standing.

Helpful Links

The IRS Personal Tax Tips Page Includes tax tables, tax calendar, W-4 calculator and other important information.
IRS Tips For Business Frequently Asked Questions, tax information for the self-employed, and tax tips for businesses of all sizes. A great resource for getting the most from your personal taxes.
Boards of AccountancyCheck the status of a CPA's license, or for any disciplinary actions against him
IRS Board of Professional ResponsibilityCheck if an EA has been censured, disbarred or subjected to other disciplinary actions.